Saturday, July 14, 2012

Two roof panels installed

I finished the 2nd roof panel yesterday and installed the first half of the roof today.
I nailed a piece of scrap wood to the bottom edge of the first panel. When I lifted the panel into place, I rested the one end on the top plate.

I used my big C clamp to hold the top piece of the panel in position, while I toe nailed it in place. Then I put a timber lock screw in the end to hold it in position. I went down to the deck and added another couple of timber lock screws up through the top plate and into the eave. Note the rope I used as a safety line to keep the panel from falling too far, if I dropped it!

Here is a view of the first roof panel in position.

The second panel overlaps the first panel at the peak. I pushed the second panel up into the loft over the side wall. I used some rope to hold one end of the panel in position while I worked on the other end. (I've been doing this all solo.) I used the C clamp again to hold the panel in position while I aligned the peak.

Then I drove in more timber lock screws to secure the second panel.

Here is what the first half of the roof looks like from a distance.


  1. Whoa, wait! Did you do all of these by yourself? If so, then good job! The roof panels are properly aligned, and I can tell that they are sturdy enough to hold the actual roofs. I’m guessing all the work has been done by now, including the walls and the roofs, of course. What type of roof did you choose to install, anyway?

    Ashlee Starns

    1. Yes, part of this building experiment was to see if a Sonoma Shanty could be constructed by one person working alone. I basically pushed the roof panels up my ladder and onto the roof by myself. A temporary loft I made was indispensable for raising the roof. I went slowly and planned things out ahead of time, keeping safety a top priority. I used temporary supports as an extra pair of hands. Without the sheathing the roof panels weighed less than 60 pounds. I ended up putting on standard asphalt shingle roofing. It went on relatively quick and easy, and it doesn't leak! We have had several heavy rainstorms since I finished the roof and it is bone dry inside.