Sunday, August 26, 2012

We have a door !

I finally got my door installed today. This has been the most time consuming part of my build so far. Luckily I cut my T1-11 siding precisely enough that the door fit on my first fit check. I removed the door and put an entire tube of caulk down on the floor under the door. I was able to lift the door into place by myself. If my SS had been on a trailer, I would have needed help or some saw horses to get it up and into place. I braced the door with a 2x4 to make sure it didn't fall out of the opening, while I shimmed and checked that it was plumb on the inside.

After the door was secure, I removed the shipping hardware and tested for smooth operation. Once I was satisfied that the door was useable, I fitted the last piece of T1-11 siding to the right of the door.

I installed the door knob and latching hardware. Now that I can lock the door, I can leave my tools inside. No more lugging my tools from the garage out to the shed.

My SS shed now has it's first furniture: a folding chair!

I moved my windows into the shed from the garage. My plan is to now finish putting a coat of primer on the outside of the shed and installing vertical trim boards at the corners. Then I should be ready to install the windows. I need some light and ventilation in here!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Getting ready for door installation

Today I continued cutting T1-11 to fit the rough door opening. I realize that most of what I am doing is custom work and not necessarily standard construction! After I cut and fitted the first upper triangle of siding, I cut and installed the flashing. It will go over to the door frame, but can't interfere with the door sitting flush.

Here is a view of the flashing installed and the T1-11 cut to fit the rough opening of the door. I installed a scrap piece of siding to the right of the door opening, so I can position the door against the siding. I have to leave a space open that I can enter and exit through when I am installing the door. I checked and I can fit through there!

I did a test fit with the second triangular piece of siding and it fit nicely. I just have to trim the siding for the door's rough opening and then I can tack it in place. I'm getting close to being able to install the door. I need to buy some more caulking; the instructions for installing the door said to use an entire tube of caulking as a bed underneath the door.

All of this would have been much easier if I had put a layer of 1/2 " siding on initially, under the T1-11. But that is a story for another day.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Odds and ends

Not a log of progress to show. I only got one day to work on the shed this weekend.

I added 2x4's for nailing the T1-11 to the top of the door end of the shed. With the back end of the shed enclosed, there is no cross ventilation; it was really hot in the loft, banging in those nails! Next I have to fit the triangular pieces of siding and then trim them to fit the rough door opening. I also have to fit the Z flashing so it covers the bottom sheathing but doesn't interfere with the door casing.

Since I will be installing the door soon, I decided to remove the bottom plate under the door opening. Luckily I remembered to precut the plate before I installed the wall.

I had built a small platform above the door when I installed the roof. This platform has to be removed now so it doesn't interfere with the door opening, so I removed it today.

We had some heavy rain last week. The interior of the shed stayed dry except for the back corner where the tar paper blew off the roof. I installed some furring strips to keep the tar paper in place.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Installing siding on ends

I had a dry day yesterday, so I painted 2 sides of my shed with primer. Hopefully that will reduce the chance of the T1-11 warping any more. The rectangle on the side without paint will be cut out for one of my windows.

I wanted to finish enclosing the top portion of the rear of the shed. I cut a sheet of T1-11 in half to get two 4 foot squares. Then I cut each square diagonally to get 4 triangular pieces. I used 2 on the rear of the shed and I'll use the other 2 on the front above the door. First I put a bead of caulk on the top edge of the T1-11. Then I placed a piece of flashing over the lower panel.

I had test fitted the triangular siding previously, so I placed them in position and nailed them in place.

Siding on rear of shed completed. Now I can leave tools at the rear of the shed and not worry about them getting wet. With the rear end enclosed, I notice the reduced ventilation; the shed is noticeably warmer. I'll have to cut out the window openings soon.

I was able to put up one piece of siding to the left of the door opening before a storm rolled through. I plan to work on the top portion of this end next. I need to temporarily put up the panels and mark them for the door cutout. Then I can nail them in place. The side panel to the right of the door will have to remain off so that I can get in and out while I am installing the door.